Only two blocks long, and the smallest of Lynchburg’s seven historic districts, the Pierce Street Renaissance District is the only local historic district that is more notable because of the people who lived there rather than because of the architecture of the buildings.
The Pierce Street area was first settled in the 1850s but soon became a camp during the Civil War, followed by residential development after annexation by the City in 1870. The local district, established in 2005, was expanded in 2014 to include portions of the adjoining Buchanan and Fillmore Streets and is now on the Virginia Landmarks Register and the National Register of Historic Houses.
The mission of Pierce Street Gateway is:
- to promote Pierce Street as an historical neighborhood,
- to educate the larger community on the neighborhood’s historical importance, and
- to support the preservation of the neighborhood.
Pierce Street Gateway was incorporated in late 2018 and is a 501(c)3 tax-exempt organization.
Please help us fulfill our mission.